Saturday, November 2, 2013

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis: Same Love

Published on October 2nd, 2012 was the song Same Love, by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis. In this song he talks about a taboo in some parts of society, homosexuality.

Starting this song off were some important lyrics, explaining what and who make him think he is gay. 

When I was in the third grade I thought that I was gay,
Cause I could draw, my uncle was, and I kept my room straight.I told my mom, tears rushing down my faceShe's like "Ben you've loved girls since before Pre-K, trippin"Yeah, I guess she had a point, didn't she?Bunch of stereotypes all in my head.I remember doing the math like, "Yeah, I'm good at little league"A preconceived idea of what it all meant.

Lets break this down a little bit so you have a better understanding of what this all means. First we will start off with:
"When I was in the third grade I thought that I was gay,

Cause I could draw, my uncle was, and I kept my room straight."

When Macklemore was a kid he thought he was gay due to the fact that he was good at art. Society views art as more of a feminine trait and things like sports as a masculine trait. Macklemore also had four uncles that were gay, growing up around not only a family of gay people but a town of gay people was a huge influence on him. When it comes to him keeping his room straight, that was another stereotype that he was fed as a kid. He believed that because other boys were so messy and he was very neat and clean, that he was gay. 

The next part of the song that we are going to break down is:
I told my mom, tears rushing down my faceShe's like "Ben you've loved girls since before Pre-K, trippin"Yeah, I guess she had a point, didn't she?Bunch of stereotypes all in my head.I remember doing the math like, "Yeah, I'm good at little league"A preconceived idea of what it all meant.

Macklemore said he has tears rushing down his face when he told his mom because he knows that homosexuality is not accepted and he was scared of her response. The rest of the text in this verse demonstrates the range of the word gay has to children, all the stereotypes kids think associate with homosexuality. 

In this song, Macklemore is trying to open our eyes about homosexuality and why it is wrong to discriminate against it. Really expressing how gay is synonymous with the lesser and it should be human rights for everyone because there is no difference between a straight person and homosexual. Hopefully you all can take the time to listen to the video and see what this songs true message to society is, because it is a strong one.



No comments:

Post a Comment